Tuesday, October 2, 2012

the real need...

I have been watching the PBS documentary "Half the Sky: Turning oppression into opportunity for women worldwide." I texted some friends and told them to do the same. I watched it with some of my MNGP's. It's a reality that makes me sick. Breaks my heart. Makes me wonder what I can do, if there's even anything that I can really do....

I know that sex trafficking is real. I know that it happens here in the US and across the world. Do I understand the magnitude in which it's happening? Unfortunately no... Can I go for days without a thought crossing my mind about modern day slavery or sex trafficking? Unfortunately yes.... 

I do applaud Half the Sky for their efforts in creating awareness, in doing what they can to "save"  these girls from brothels... but the more I think about it, the more I talk about it, the bigger the knot in my stomach gets. Sure these girls are being "rescued" from brothels and such but are they actually being rescued from what we all need rescued from? Who is giving these girls really what they need? What we all need? 

Who is telling them about Jesus?

My friend Lucas said this in his sermon on Sunday.... "The ultimate goal of compassion ministry is to help meet a person’s theological needs. We want to share the gospel as we do justice and mercy in the world. All people of all religions can feed the hungry and care for the homeless but Christians are the only people with the good news of the gospel. It is the one thing we have that nobody else does. Compassion ministry is more than feeding the hungry and providing clean water. It should be holistic in nature caring for the whole person, because ultimately the most compassionate thing we can do for a person is share the gospel with them. Let me say that again, the most compassionate thing we can do for a person is share the gospel with them."

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I was thinking the SAME thing when they were highlighting Somaly and her work... These girls not only need to be rescued physically, they desperately need Jesus and the love and healing that only comes through HIM!