- This time last year I knew I was going to Haiti but had never heard of Moldova. I love leaving the country but it was an unexpected blessing to get to leave the country twice in the same year.
- Having a student teacher brought a new experience to my teaching career but also an unexpected new friend. (#bestinternever)
- It only took us 11 years for us to actually have a real face-to-face conversation. (We have loads of mutual friends from K-State but never actually met until the fall of 2011.) An amazing unexpected blessing of 2012 is my friendship with my dear sister Abbe.
- I found out in 2012 that one day (hopefully sooner rather than later) I will be an aunt. (My sister and her husband have begun the process to adopt from Ethiopia.) My heart is overjoyed at their decision to adopt.
- Getting to lead a team with two of my dearest brothers was definitely an unexpected blessing. (Life really is better when you've got a posse.)
- I can't even begin to tell you the joy in the tears that I shed when Reb sent me these pictures. The friendship that I have with Claire's adoptive parents is an unexpected blessing.
- Kendal Mae Gibson is the smallest unexpected blessing of my 2012. Her mom and dad are two of my dearest friends. I'm excited to get to be part of her life for many years to come.
It's always good for me to look back because then I can look forward with a deeper sense of gratitude and a greater sense of anticipation. Here's to 2013. I'm excited to see what this year will hold.